We are firm believers in the power of sharing stories through demonstrated case studies and examples.
Here are some Queensland examples of applications using open data:
- Righttogo – a new app that uses open data to allow easy access to Brisbane City Council planning regulations for a particular property, and then connects users with design-led businesses to help them complete their renovation or new build project.
- Brisbane Community Directory which provides up-to-date information for community organisations who provide services to the Brisbane community.
- WikiCamps Australia which is an interactive travel app available for download in various formats.
Open Data visualisations are a quick and easy way to interact with data and extract new meaning and insight. Here are some examples of data visualisations created by local #dataartists:
- Get to know your electorate – by the Policy Innovation Hub at Griffith University. Using Tableau Public, the team has created a number of informative dashboards using open data from the Australian Beaurau of Statistics which shows a breakdown of population, income, housing, and education – by electorate throughout Queensland. Choose an electorate of interest, and then slide along the tabs at the top for greater granularity.
Read more success stories from across Australia:
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Australian Capital Territory
- Western Australia
- Australian Nation Data Service #DataImpact
- The GovLab have published a collection on Open Data’s Impact.
- Becky Hogge wrote a comprehensive report, Open Data -Six Stories About Impact in the UK.
- The ODI have a number of open data case studies and stories.
Write your own story
Events are often organised to work with open data. Here are a few you may be interested in exploring to create your own success story:
- GovHack – Australia’s largest hackathon. See the 2015 results
- Open Knowledge run a number of events throughout the year in Brisbane and Melbourne
- Australia Open Data Meetup – open data events across Australia are often posted here
- HealthHack – A data hack for medical research problems.
- Hacking Health – collaborate and co-create digital health prototypes to healthcare needs